Child Support Payments In North Carolina

In North Carolina, child support is determined by a formula that considers each parent's income, the child's health insurance costs, day care or child care costs and any extraordinary needs that the child may have. All of this information is then computed into a child support calculator, which abides by North Carolina Child Support Guidelines, and the child support obligation amount is generated.

Will The Court Deviate From The Child Support Guidelines?

You can ask the court to deviate from the guidelines and award more or less child support. However, you have to persuade the court that either a parent's inability to pay or your child's extraordinary or special needs demand more or less child support.

Can I Modify My Child Support Obligation?

Child support is never a final issue until the child turns 18 and graduates from high school. A parent can always ask the court to modify child support based on a substantial change of circumstances that affect the children. If there is a 15 percent change in a parent's income (either up or down), it is presumed to be a substantial change in circumstances.

How Do I Enforce Court-Ordered Child Support?

In some cases, after the divorce has been finalized or paternity established and the child support ordered, the obligee (person receiving support) needs to ask the court to enforce the child support because the obligor (person paying support) is not paying.

If you need to enforce your child support obligation or need help defending an enforcement action, contact our attorneys today.

At Epperson Law PLLC, we are available 24/7 to assist with child support needs and issues. Please call our firm toll free at 888-805-8163 in Boone or Weddington. Our lawyers can help you in the areas of Union County, Mecklenburg County, Charlotte, Winston-Salem, Boone or anywhere in North Carolina. You can also email us your contact information.