North Carolina Family Law Attorneys
Call Today 704.200.9278

Do you want to move to another state with your child?

You may not want to live in North Carolina for your entire life, but if you share children with an ex-spouse, you could be legally bound to remain in a specific area of the county. This does not mean that you can't get permission to move away with your children. It just means that you'll have a few legal hurdles to jump through before you can relocate out of state.

Family law courts generally want to see the parents of a child living close enough together that the child can easily spend time with, visit and have access to both parents. Courts consider this kind of access to be in the "best interest" of the children. As such, if a parent wishes to move away, he or she will need to show why it is in the best interest of the child to do so.

In order to evaluate a move-away case, courts will want to answer the following questions:

-- Will the parents relationship with the custodial parent be damaged by the relocation?

-- Does the new location have a family support system like grandparents, uncles, cousins, etc?

-- Will the child's contact with the non-custodial parent be affected in any way by the move?

-- How will the child's quality of life compare in the new location to the old location?

-- What are the ages of the children involved?

-- How is the new location going to be different?

-- Considering these and other questions, how will the best interests of the child be served?

North Carolina parents considering the relocation of their children are well served to answer these questions for themselves. Knowing the answers can help you have a clearer vision for the reasons why you wish to make the move and it will assist you in navigating your move-away request in family law court.