North Carolina Family Law Attorneys
Call Today 704.200.9278

2 common child custody disagreements

When North Carolina family law disputes involves children, the disagreements can become heated and difficult to resolve. Perhaps a mother and father are in the throes of a disagreement about who the child should live with. Perhaps a grandparent is fighting for his or her right to spend time with a grandchild. Regardless of the situation, these issues will require tact and diplomacy if the parties wish to settle their disagreements out of court.

Here are two common child custody disagreements that North Carolina residents could find themselves facing:


Imagine you are sharing custody with another parent, or the other parent has visitation rights to spend every Sunday with your child. However, you have received an excellent job opportunity in a city in another state, where your child's grandparents live. This could be a way for you to bring more financial abundance to your family and support your child in having a relationship with your parents. However, depending on your child custody arrangements, you may need to get the court's approval before you can relocate.

Visitation rights for grandparents

In certain circumstances, a grandparent who is being denied access to his or her grandchild may be able to petition the court to ask for visitation time. Imagine, for example, that your son or daughter was incarcerated and the other parent of your grandchild was awarded full custody. Now, the other parent is refusing to let you see your grandchild. In this circumstance, it might be possible for you to ask for visitation rights.

In both these situations, when the parties are fully informed of their legal rights and the likely result is that their cases go to trial, it will be easier for the parties to arrive at an out-of-court settlement. Ultimately, this should be the goal of any attorney assisting a client with a family law dispute: Help the client save time, money and stress by guiding him or her through the process of reaching a peaceful out-of-court resolution.