North Carolina Family Law Attorneys
Call Today 704.200.9278

Who Pays Child Support After a North Carolina Divorce?

The average annual cost of caring for a child is $14,000, in other words, raising a child is incredibly expensive. This cost can be burdensome to parents; unfortunately, financially supporting a child only gets more complicated when a couple gets a divorce. However, a healthy child support order can offset the financial burdens of raising a child on one’s own. With that being said, it’s important to determine who pays child support after a North Carolina divorce.

Who Pays North Carolina Child Support?

As stated on the North Carolina Judicial Branch website, all parents are responsible for supporting their children. Additionally, if a parent is under the age of 18, then his or her parents can be obligated to pay child support until the parent reaches the age of 18. The only time a parent has no legal obligation to pay child support is if the parent’s rights are terminated; however, a parent’s child custody arrangement can impact his or her obligation to pay child support.

How Does Custody Impact Child Support?

Custody will severely impact potential child support obligations. For example, residential parents (children live with these parents) who have primary custody of children will not have to pay child support, as their obligation of care is fulfilled through custody status. Therefore, non-residential parents will always pay child support to residential parents.

In joint physical custody scenarios, either parent could potentially pay child support based on several factors.

Factors that impact potential child support payments include:

  • The gross annual income of both parents;
  • Each parent’s overnight totals with the child;
  • Needs of the child.

Therefore, determining who pays child support in physical joint custody arrangements can be complicated.

Get Representation for Your Case

Determining child support payments is an intricate legal process. If you are seeking to collect child support, or if a child support claim has been filed against you, you should hire an experienced family law attorney for your case!

Call (704) 200-9278 now for a free consultation concerning your child support case!