North Carolina Family Law Attorneys
Call Today 704.200.9278

Potential Responses to NC Absolute Divorce Papers

As North Carolina follows a “separation first” rule, it wasn’t shocking to receive your spouse’s summons and complaint for divorce. However, just because you knew this was coming, it doesn’t make it any less painful. Thankfully, you don’t have to go through this process alone. In this blog post, Epperson Law Group will share potential responses to North Carolina divorce papers.

Default Divorce

Your first option is to not respond to the divorce papers. When someone chooses to forgo a response, he or she is “defaulting” on the process, and cannot argue against proposed property division, alimony, or child custody claims. Choosing to default is only a good idea if you agree with everything your spouse wrote down concerning the things mentioned above.

Drafting an “Answer”

If your spouse filed a complaint against you concerning asset division, alimony, child support, or other requests, you might develop an “answer.” Spouses will want to “answer” a complaint when they feel that their spouses’ requests are over-the-top and unfair.

As stated on the North Carolina Judicial Branch website, there is no standardized form to file for equitable distribution and other divorce-related topics. Therefore, the process is often complicated and frustrating: however, obtaining experienced divorce representation is possible.

Get Help Drafting a Response

If you or a loved one received North Carolina divorce papers and want to draft a response, then Epperson Law Group is here to help! Our experienced attorneys have walked thousands of clients through the divorce process, which means we’ve handled nearly every North Carolina divorce situation imaginable. If you’re ready to get the divorce help you need, contact us today!

Call (704) 200-9278 or contact us online now to set up an initial consultation for your case.